UA-26222132-1 Libby's Pink Vanity: Thanksgiving Nail Polish Tradition

Monday, November 1, 2010

Thanksgiving Nail Polish Tradition

Posted by Libby's Pink Vanity at 11/01/2010 07:45:00 PM
This polish(es) are really old!  I can't even tell you how long I've had them.  You'll be able to tell by the bottle shape that these are ancient Sally Hansen's.

Every fall, around Thanksgiving, I fall in love with this combo.  However, I did some comparisons.
First...

I start off with SH's 'Bronzegold Frost.'  This will tell you how old this is; it says it's made with nylon.  Didn't nylon go out of fashion when spandex came on board?
Then, over 'Bronzegold Frost' I layer 'Gilded Pink'...
Bronze glitter.  Cool.  Since these are old SH's, they have that skinny brush that you just want to throw at a Claire Marie writer.  How in the world did we put up with those skinny, terrible brushes for so long?  And then, since I've had this since Cleopatra used henna for polish, it was on the thick side.  I'm not ditching these until I find some dupes!

That's some sassy bronze glitter.  After just two coats, it made a beautiful combo...

Damn!  I buggered up my middle finger.  And wouldn't you it, I didn't see it til I got a photo.  sigh

So, I got to thinking (why do people step back 3 feet away from me when I say that??).  What if I have another overlay that would sort of look like this one?

I've had this one for a bit, but not years like the first two.  This is Cover Girl's Boundless Color 'Ruby Dust'...
This is what it looks like over the SH 'Bronzegold Frost'...


This is still got that bronze look within.  The glitter is different sizes as well.  The large bits of glitter are iridescent and bronze.  The microglitter is bronze.

And now, a side by side comparison...

Not a whole lot of difference.  The 'Ruby Dust' just seems to have the chunky glitter where the 'Gilded Pink' is all glitter.  I did use 2 coats on both of these.  And, these are over 2 coats of the base, 'Bronzegold Frost.'

You may need to stand back three feet, because I started thinking again.
I would not have called 'Gilded Pink' pink.  It's bronze.  So to check for myself, I got out another pink overlay.  Here I'm showing Wet'N'Wild's 'Sparked.'

I have Sally Hansen's 'Bronzegold Frost' at the top.  Second row is Sally Hansen's 'Gilded Pink', then Wet'N'Wild's 'Sparked', last is Cover Girl's 'Ruby Dust.'  Does 'Gilded Pink' look more like bronze and, 'Ruby Dust' look more like pink than rubies?

This is my traditional fall/Thanksgiving manicure.  It's the polishes I use right after Halloween and have, for more years than I care to count up.  But as with almost any look, it's good to spice it up, update it and then call it 'Retro.'

Does anyone else have a Thanksgiving season beauty ritual?  Which do you like the best; Gilded Pink or Ruby Dust?

9 comments:

The Peach on November 1, 2010 at 8:15 PM said...

What a cool mani tradition! I like the Gilded Pink best. But I agree, it does look more like a bronze than a pink. And Ruby Dust does look more pink than ruby! Haha! Guess it goes to show you can't judge a polish by its name!

Jeweled Thumb on November 1, 2010 at 8:16 PM said...

OMG That glitter rocks! =)

MissMidnightBlue on November 1, 2010 at 8:29 PM said...

I love those old sallys I wish I had a whole bunch of them. I love the colors!

Anonymous said...

I love those shades, especially Gilded Pink. I can see why you don't toss them...hopefully one day you'll find dupes.

Megan Harmeyer on November 1, 2010 at 9:47 PM said...

Since this is my first Thanksgiving holiday since being re-addicted to nail polish, I don't have any specific rituals. I really like the sparkle colors you have going there!

Tara on November 1, 2010 at 10:30 PM said...

veryyy pretty! I just picked up some new holiday WnW shades that look pretty similar and the new SH line of complete salon manicures have some similar glitters. <3

Tara on November 2, 2010 at 11:30 PM said...

hey girlie, Yes I AGREE i miss chatting it up with you- we'll catch up soon. Guess what? I tagged you with an award for your awesomeness <3

http://foryournailsonly.blogspot.com/2010/11/i-offer-my-sugar-skull-to-dead.html

KarenD on November 3, 2010 at 2:29 PM said...

Oh my goodness--those SHs are awesome!

victoria on November 5, 2010 at 7:29 PM said...

This color looks great on you! And you're right....so appropriate for the Holiday Season :)


xoxo
Victoria Stanell

Associate Product Editor
beautylish.com
blog.beautylish.com
twitter.com/beautylish

Post a Comment

 

Libby's Pink Vanity Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Illustration by Enakei | Blogger Blog Templates