UA-26222132-1 Libby's Pink Vanity: I Softened Up to Natural Shea Butter

Friday, July 2, 2010

I Softened Up to Natural Shea Butter

Posted by Libby's Pink Vanity at 7/02/2010 10:35:00 PM
There is this very large, long-standing flea market in Sanford, FL.  I loved going to it when I lived here the first time ('88 to '92). And I still love going.  It's best I go alone because, even though I have an incredibly understanding husband, he can't hide boredom.  After 30 minutes at the market, he's ready to go.

So, I did make it a day, last weekend, to visit. I had a very good time even though it was almost 100 degrees.  Luckily, the market is covered, not air-conditioned, but with lots of fans with water spraying into them making a fine, cool mist.

One of the vendors I visited with was a couple, originally from Connecticut, who was selling, among other natural products, shea butter, African Black Soap and fragrant oils.  They had a large bowl set out with a mound of fresh shea butter in it. I asked if I could try some and the woman said sure, that's why they had that out.  First I swiped up a bit, smelled it and then proceeded to smear it on my cuticles and knuckles.  It felt buttery, melted quickly, smelled nutty and earthy and softened up my cuticles, hands and knuckles.  Damn!  It was fine!  With what bit I knew about shea butter, the nice woman went on to tell me more about it. The women of West Africa make this from a nut off a tree. They have used it for centuries for softening their skin and hair.
Without further ado, I asked the price.  They had two sizes, one was the size of a small deli container, which is the amount I got, shown here, and the other was in the size of a larger plastic deli container.  The smaller was, get ready....$3!!!  The larger....$5!!!!  The $3 size is, at least, about 3 times the size of my Lush Lemony Flutter. ~gasp!~

The deli plastic container was too difficult to take the seal off without tearing a nail.  So, I transferred the butter into a small 'Lock-N-Lock' container.  Plus, it is sealed a bit more airtight.
It really is as creamy as it looks.  Melts on contact with the skin.  Smells nutty but softer. And I love it (hushed whisper...better than Lush!!! SSHHHHHhhhhh!)  The only thing that the Lemony Flutter has over this shea butter is the lemony smell.

Shea butter is one of the ingredients of Lemony Flutter but, all those other ingredients seem unnecessary after experiencing natural Shea.  Three bucks!!! I can't get over it!!

The husband of this team shared with me the benefits of the African Black Soap. I'm kicking myself now for not getting it.  I came home and googled info on the soap.  It's true, it's not really black in color.  But the uses of it are amazing.  Let's just say my skin needs this! It's wonderful for all types of skin from oil, to acne, but is especially good for dry skin.  I'm not terribly dry but, enough that I try to stay ahead of getting dried out. I'm using it nonstop on my cuticles, both hands and feet.  Works to soften my elbows and heels too.  And after I finish rubbing it on my body, I pat my hands over my face to put just a hint on there too.

Now the question is for me, how long will I go before heading back out to the flea market and getting that black soap? ;)

My 99 Follower Giveaway is going on right now.; going til July 11.  I've passed 99 and, golly, I can't believe there are people who actually enjoy my blog! :) Thank you very much.:)

I think I got a home run with the Shea Butter.  What do you think? Have you had the chance to try raw Shea Butter? How about the African Black Soap?

8 comments:

ABOP Laquerlove on July 2, 2010 at 10:46 PM said...

Yup. I use a mixture of raw shea butter, coconut oil, and sweet almond oil in my hair everyday and applied with a qtip on my cuticles after my manis. Great find on your part!

Michelle on July 3, 2010 at 2:02 AM said...

I love Shea butter, it keeps me from getting pimples. It's has anti-inflammatory properties so it takes the redness away from the few I do have. I apply it really thick to any pimples I get, and they're gone very quickly. Also, they call Shea butter "Nature's Botox", it prevents wrinkles and helps retain your skin's elasticity. I love it!

KarenD on July 3, 2010 at 12:57 PM said...

I've not tried either shea butter or the black soap. This shea butter sounds like good stuff!

Jacie on July 3, 2010 at 10:04 PM said...

I've not tried raw, but I am a fan of Lemony Flutter so I think I might have to try this. Awesome find, missy!

Recalcitrant Nails on July 4, 2010 at 4:18 AM said...

Fabulous find! I've not tried shea butter. I do blend my own essential oils and have a blend I use on cuticles (okay, like 3 different blends) and I've got Cocao butter that I use too. The cocao butter melts into my skin similar to your shea butter.

Libby's Pink Vanity on July 5, 2010 at 8:45 AM said...

@ Michelle Nature's Botox, eh? Man, I'm putting this stuff on my face now, for sure!

@KarenD Yea, it is good stuff. I'm enjoying it a lot. Great for my dry hands.

@Jacie Comparing Shea to LF, Shea melts into my skin so much faster. LF now seems like it just sits on my skin.

@LWTT Girl, that Cocao Butter mix you do sounds really nice! I should take some of my Shea and see how it is mixing in some essential oils.

Unknown on July 6, 2010 at 3:52 PM said...

Love this post! I need to find some near me. You should ad a small container to the giveaway..wink wink... LOL!

Libby's Pink Vanity on July 6, 2010 at 10:09 PM said...

@ Jackie You know, I did think of that! But the heat...eeee!! I think I'll do that with a winter giveaway. Otherwise it would be Shea Oil Slick. :(

And, you know what? I could do it with the African Black Soap!!! You've got good ideas!!

Post a Comment

 

Libby's Pink Vanity Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Illustration by Enakei | Blogger Blog Templates