UA-26222132-1 Libby's Pink Vanity: Feather Hair Extensions at Walmart and Lessons on Merchandising

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Feather Hair Extensions at Walmart and Lessons on Merchandising

Posted by Libby's Pink Vanity at 11/09/2011 08:18:00 PM
This post is going to be a bit about merchandising, what I do for a living.

First, I can tell something has become a major trend when I see it en masse  at Walmart...
(Check out the grumpy white collar to the left. Guess he's not happy about having to shop at Walmart!)
I saw this display of clip-in feather extensions. I didn't purchase any as I have quite a few already. I got some, about 3 months ago, at Walgreens for about $6. A kiosk in a small mall was clearancing theirs for $5. And then I have purchased a few here and there.

What I'd like to show you is that these displays, the extensions and the candies, are setting atop palettes. The extensions are on a half palette because it is half the size of the ones like the candies are on. Why the candies palettes are painted black, I don't know. But it is more attractive than the bare wood one the extensions are setting on.


Here are the individual packages of extensions...

Considering that there are two extensions per package, that's not a bad deal. And there were several different colors to pick from.

Allow me to take you back to the photos of the displays.

A lot of products will come into Walmart just like you see here with the candies. The display is already set up and with products in it, sitting right on the palette. They have a lot of shrink wrap around them to keep them in place. So, all Walmart has to do is take all the shrink wrap off and move it out onto the floor. As the product sells down, someone needs to replenish the stock. Sometimes a company will hire a merchandiser (like me) to come in and make sure the displays are fully stocked. Completely stocked means more sales.

 
Now here is why a company would hire little ol' me to make sure their displays are fully stocked...

The major aisles in Walmart are called 'action alley' aisles. The sales in these areas are voluminous. You very rarely see a 'no name' brand being sold in these areas.

Walmart 'rents' these areas out to companies because of the high traffic and optimum exposure and opportunity to make sales. The front aisle, right in front of the cash registers, is 'prime real estate.' That's it's actual name. These 'action alley' areas are rented to companies so they can increase sales of their products. So not only does Walmart make profits from selling the items, they also collect 'rent' (even more money) from the companies that set their products in that area.

 Learning about these things put a whole new light on marketing and sales for me. I hope you find value in this information as well. Do you like my small lessons on merchandising? If so, I'd like to continue to share with you.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heyа i'm for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It truly useful & it helped me out a lot. I hope to give something back and help others like you helped me.

Also visit my web-site: eyelash extensions prices

Post a Comment

 

Libby's Pink Vanity Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Illustration by Enakei | Blogger Blog Templates