UA-26222132-1 Libby's Pink Vanity: Wet n Wild Black Magic Shinanigans and a Sparkly Pumpkin

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Wet n Wild Black Magic Shinanigans and a Sparkly Pumpkin

Posted by Libby's Pink Vanity at 9/08/2011 10:29:00 AM
As I mentioned previously, I saved back the Icing's 'Pumpkin' to swatch. I'm sitting on the fence about this one...probably like a pumpkin. ;P So, here are the photos and I'll leave it up to you if it is worth purchasing.

 

 After I polished my pinky, I started thinking that maybe I should put a base coat down first. So, as you can see, I did a couple tests with that in mind.

I used Wet 'n Wild's 'Black Magic' from the Fantasy Maker Halloween collection. This little tombstone has caused quite a bit of confusion. It's like the wrong person got buried in the wrong plot.

Here's the situation as I understand it. Gianna at Nouveau Cheap, gave 'Black Magic' a review and swatch on her blog. You can pop on over here, to check it out. You'll notice that she not only swatches it but she also shows a photo of the side of the polish stating that this polish is, indeed, named 'Black Magic.'

Cool! Many of us are excited to get a black polish that has an array of micro-glitter colors. However, a few of us ended up with a creme black.

Mine even says 'Black Magic.' However, it is not the same as Gianna's. I purchased mine at an Ulta store. So, a few days later, I went to another Ulta store and looked the display over carefully. What I noticed was that the display states that the color that should be there is 'Black Sparklee.' The plot thickens...

I feel confident that Wet n Wild has made a mistake in packaging. My question then is, will we be able to find 'Black Sparklee'? Stay tuned. I'll give an update when anything turns up.

Now that I'm finished with that breaking news, back to our regularly scheduled swatch...


'Pumpkin' is, without any doubt, orange and sparkly. I love it! However, I think doing a mani with just the 'Pumpkin' would have done just fine as it is rather densely packed with glitter.
'Pumpkin' is a thick polish. And I had a difficult time getting it to apply near the cuticle without depositing glitter on my skin.

With the top photo of my thumb, I have one coat of 'Black Magic' (imposter or not) and 2 coats of 'Pumpkin.' I have one two top coats of Nailene's 'Miracle Maker'. And even with those 2 layers of top coat, 'Pumpkin' is still gritty. On the index finger, I have 3 coats of 'Pumpkin' and I think it looks fairly nice. It has got an opaque look to it with 3 coats. Only thing is, that it does have pull at the cuticle line.

This is my index finger on my right hand and I believe that this shows the drag of 'Pumpkin' but the possibilities that using these two polishes have. It almost looks like a graduated appearance.

Oh, and one great thing about the 'Black Magic' I got, that sucker is opaque in one coat!. Not a bald spot or a streak. That makes me feel a bit better about having it in my collection.

Now you can tell me what you think about these polishes; layer or no layer? And on the 'Black Magic' mixup; Trick or Treat? Let me know your thoughts, I'm interested to read what the readers think.

9 comments:

Megan Harmeyer on September 8, 2011 at 11:26 AM said...

I think I prefer the orange by itself, but...you brought up an interesting idea with the possibility of gradation. I think Pumpkin would look awesome sponged on the tips of Black Magic!!

G. on September 8, 2011 at 2:58 PM said...

Whoa! So there was a spot on the display for a color called "Black Sparklee"?? I haven't heard a thing about that--great detective work! I think I might agree with you that perhaps the bottle I have was mislabeled! Hum....

Makeup and Mutts on September 8, 2011 at 3:51 PM said...

The packaging is the best!

Heather Elyse on September 8, 2011 at 9:24 PM said...

cute color combination! I have to try that black nail polish! but I would love to get the one with the glitters.

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of Halloween!

A Polished Touch on September 8, 2011 at 10:10 PM said...

I completely agree with Megan about sponging Pumpkin on the tips of a black mani. I think you should definitely give it a go! I love the tombstone shaped polish - I haven't seen any where I live but I'm keeping up eyes open for it.

KarenD on September 9, 2011 at 11:31 AM said...

I went to two Ultas, and both of them only had black creme Black Magic bottles--I looked at every one and even opened a few to make sure. I've heard the collection is showing up at some Meijer stores, so I'm going to check there this weekend and see what I can see.

I like Pumpkin--wish I had an Icing store closer to me as they've been doing some great glitters!

Libby's Pink Vanity on September 9, 2011 at 7:08 PM said...

@Megan That's what I was thinking. There was so much drag with Pumpkin that it almost looked like gradation on my right index finger. I hope someone takes that idea and runs with it. :)

@G I'm curious if we'll ever get an answer. I wouldn't be mad with WnW about it. But I would like the opportunity to purchase the one with glitter.

@Vintage Makeup Isn't it? I just love it.

@LovelyMissMakeup Yep, I agree. And I think your name is so cute!

@imfeelingnail-venturous Yep. That's what it is!

@A Polished Touch Do you think a jelly would be good for sponging? I don't think I have the skills to do it. Maybe just polishing the end? I have one of the tombstones from years ago. I can't throw it away because it's so cute. :)

@KarenD Ahh... mystery is wide-spread, then. And Claire's never has the same polish as its sister store Icing. Boo!

The Lacquered Lady on September 15, 2011 at 1:19 AM said...

It's a homemade version of China Glaze Ick-a-body! How creative!

Post a Comment

 

Libby's Pink Vanity Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Illustration by Enakei | Blogger Blog Templates