UA-26222132-1 Libby's Pink Vanity: What I Use to Clean My Makeup Brushes

Sunday, August 1, 2010

What I Use to Clean My Makeup Brushes

Posted by Libby's Pink Vanity at 8/01/2010 02:32:00 PM
There has been some talk, and always has been, in the beauty world, about how to take care of and clean your makeup brushes.

In the distant past, I would use baby shampoo.  Then I learned that this wasn't even good for shampooing my hair!  So I started using the hydrating shampoo I use for my hair.  That is, until I discovered this...
This is 'Brush Off: Makeup Brush Cleaner.'  I have been using this for at least 10 years.  Seriously.  In fact, I can't even remember how I came across it.  I 'think' it was from a home shopping show.

And, if I'm still using it after all that time, you can bet I found a winner.  Since I've been using this, I have seen it at Ulta and Sephora as their brush cleaner for their make overs.  There used to be the small, pump bottle sold at Ulta too.

Here's the scoop: The larger bottle is 16 oz.  It says that it's good for over 800 cleanings.  The smaller 4 oz. bottle is the one I use and keep on my vanity.  I just use the larger bottle to refill it.  The 4 oz. bottle is from my original purchase.  Whoa...and it still works and looks fine.  In those 10 years, this is probably my 3rd purchase of a 16 oz. bottle.  I just purchased this new 16 oz. Brush Off bottle, after better than 2 years, and the total cost with shipping was $38.  That's about $15 per year.  Not bad in my book.
Soooo, what's in it?  Here's what their website says in their FAQ:

Why aren't the Ingredients listed on the container?

The FDA considers Brush Off a Consumer Product, not a Cosmetic. Ingredient listings are not required for Consumer Products.

Although our ingredients are a trade secret it may be helpful for you to know that Brush Off contains alcohol in the form of ethanol and an anti-bacterial agent in the form of benzalkonium chloride. 


So, not only does it condition my brushes, it kills buggaboos.  Still find it odd they won't tell you what's in it.  What would I tell poison control if someone accidently (?!) drank it or dumped some in their eyes?

Here is my favorite part:  After I use the brush, I squirt it 1 or 2 times with brush off, wipe it back and forth on my microfiber cloth and it's ready to use again.  Right then.  No waiting for it to dry.  Well, OK, maybe a few seconds.  


Doesn't smell, is a clear liquid and works!  I use this on my professional-grade brushes as well and my cheapies.  


My recommendation: HIGH!  I order from their website at www.brushoff.com.

2 comments:

jbrobeck on August 1, 2010 at 2:40 PM said...

thank you so much for this review!!! i have been blowing through my sephora cleaner, i knew there had to be a better option! xoxo

Recalcitrant Nails on August 2, 2010 at 3:52 PM said...

Can you tell me is it a big deal to use a special cleaner on your make up brushes? why? and how often should they be cleaned? I have a bunch of make up brushes - nice ones - and I often use dial anti-bacterial cuz I have NO IDEA that I should be using something different and why?

Post a Comment

 

Libby's Pink Vanity Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Illustration by Enakei | Blogger Blog Templates